Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mascot

The Iraqi news media covered the Democratic and the Republican national conventions.  I watched coverage from Iraqi anchors attending both.  At the bottom of the screen the party mascot was displayed along with the news ticker.

"What's the donkey?" asked Blade
"It's the Democratic Party mascot, their symbol."
He laughed, "why, man, donkey?!  They're stupid."
Sonic agreed, "Donkeys go crazy and kill themselves..."
"Suicide donkeys?"
"Insurgent donkeys," Blade laughed.

Sonic explained, "during the war [Iran/Iraq] donkeys carried supplies up mountains.  You teach a donkey the way two, three times it will walk by itself, man I'm serious.  But they never rested the donkeys so they just go crazy and walk off a cliff."
"Donkey is no good," agreed Blade.
Obama's picture came on the screen.
"Captain, you like Obama or McCain?"
I wanted to know their honest opinion so I said I was unsure.
"Obama no good," Blade and Sonic agreed.
I asked why.
"McCain is a soldier, he knows.  And he's friend with Bush."
"You like President Bush?"
"Bush capture Saddam... and help us kill Al Qaeda."