Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Standing Guard

I spoke with a soldier on guard the other day.  It was hot and the day felt old and still.  We stood in the top of a concrete guard tower.  A machine gun in one window.  Binoculars in the other.  One of the questions soldiers eternally ask one another is, "where you from?"

"San Diego, sir."
"You enlist out of high school?"
"No, sir.  I waited a few years."
"Doing what?"
"Ever heard of Bextel, sir?  Flooring?"
I waited.
"They make glue for floors--I worked in the shipping office."
"So why'd you join?"
"Wanted to try something else.  See what it was like."
"that's a good reason," I said.
We drank water.  I asked if he was married.
"Not really, sir."
"What does that mean?"
"Well, I have a girlfriend... she's pregnant now she says."
We watched the city from behind camo netting; each of us looking out a different tower window.
"So you're getting married?"
"I don't know, sir.  I don't want one mistake to cause me to make another."
"What does she want to do?"
He wasn't sure.
"She wants to get married.  I promise."
"We only just started dating, it had only been three weeks..."
"You just met?"
"I knew her from before, but we just started dating on leave.  I went back in May."
"What do her parents think?"
"They liked me I guess.  They're real nice people."
"They probably want to kill you now."
"They're real nice though, sir."
"What about your folks?"
"Well, that's it, sir--they don't know yet."